comp/lexus

A blog about life, language, writing, and other trivia.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Do Over

If you visited this blog in the last 24 hours or so, you saw a long, polemical engagement with another blogger/commenter, in which I both outlined an argument for why the way this blogger used a certain term was sexist as well as more generally for why we need to take care with the language we use, since how we talk about the world has fundamental implications for how we behave in it as well as for how we allocate its resources, and since some groups--in this particular case, women--are born into this world with more forces working against them than there ought to be.

I believe that argument, and I stand by it, but I didn't like my post. It was too, "I'm right and you're wrong and if you don't see that I will crush you." It was even downright pissy at times, and that's just not who I am. At least, it's not who I want or try to be. So, I am withdrawing my last entry to this blog.

2 Comments:

At 6:13 AM, Blogger metaspencer said...

Ooo, missed that post. But! I'm a big fan of blogslashing and pull down posts, too, from time-to-time.

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Lance said...

Yeah, I remember your comment about people wanting to "preserve the historical record" in the blogslashing post. I figure the historical record is more interesting anyway if we leave some juicy tidbits for the hermeneuts.

Although, in reality, the original post has likely already been saved and/or cached in a number of different places, not the least of which is my own hard drive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home